Giotto created this Cross between the first and second decade of the 1300s, and since its creation it has been located in the Ognissanti Church in Florence. Its condition at the end of the twentieth century meant that a major restoration job was in order. The work began in 2005 and ended in 2010. Part of the repair was financed by Giusto Manetti Battiloro and the restoration work was carried out by the Opificio delle Pietre Dure under the direction of Marco Ciatti and Cecilia Frosinini. Thanks to this restoration work, it was also possible to authenticate Giotto as author of the cross and date its creation to between 1310 and 1320.
Commissioned by the Umiliati Order, the work was carried out by following a very detailed preparatory drawing that came to light during the restoration work, thanks to the innovative technique of infrared reflectography. The paint work was done in an egg tempera mixture, while the gold leaf was applied using water and oil gilding. The work measures 468 x 360 cm, without counting the lower part that has been lost over the years. The Christ figure, placed at the centre of the work, is represented in a dignified suffering as if he were aware of his own fate. In the lateral quadrilobes, Jesus is flanked by the Virgin Mary and St. John, while above him is the image of God the Father in the benediction version.
On November 6, 2010, the work was once again on exhibit to the public in the left transept of the Ognissanti Church.